Today’s employers are focused on keeping employees happy. Research conducted on job productivity shows that happy workers are the most productive. So to get and keep the best talent, companies are taking into consideration extra perks that will make their employees happy. The Research Triangle has its fair share of cool companies including RedHat that offers rooftop yoga and free, unlimited snacks. At Cixtrix, you will find employees playing ping-pong and shuffle board. There are some companies out there offering really unique and targeted perks to differentiate themselves and create a unique company culture.
- Netflix – Offers one year of paid time off for Maternity/ Paternity leave to new parents. They also offer unlimited time-off. Keep in mind of course that if your work isn’t getting done, they quickly show you the door.
- REI – Offers their employees an additional two paid days off they call ‘Yay Days’ meant to be spent outside doing an activity they enjoy.
- Starbucks – Offers employees (who work 20 hours or more a week) its’ College Achievement Plan, a program that allows all eligible U.S. employees to earn a bachelor’s degree through Arizona State University’s online program, with full tuition coverage. Plus they offer part-time employees health benefits.
- Salesforce – Offers employees six days of paid volunteer time off a year as well as $1,000 to donate to a charity of their choice.
- WordWildlife Fund – Employees enjoy every other Friday off during the year.
- Airbnb – Employees enjoy a $2,000 stipend for vacation travel and the chance to stay at a listing anywhere in the world each year.
- Price Waterhouse Coooper – Offers its employee’s $1,200 student debt relief per year.
- SC Johnson & Son – Offers an on-site employee concierge to handle all of life’s chores. Concierges send packages and flowers, pick up groceries, shop around for the best deals on car insurance, take your car in for service including oil changes, and even stand in line for concert tickets.
- Grasshoper Group – Employees enjoy four weeks of paid time off, plus nine holidays per year. In addition, every Friday is a paid half day from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Google – Offers its employees a whole list of perks, one of the most unique is access to on-site medical care including general physicians, physical therapists, chiropractors and mental health therapists.
The most unusual job perk I came across is offered by Burton, they enjoy free ski days courtesy of the company. Based in Burlington, Vermont with ski resorts nearby, employees are given free season ski passes and the office often shuts down when fresh powder is falling.