Some of you may be sad that summer is coming to an end…back to school, shorter days, no more summer vacations…but for many of us, fall is a great time to head outside to enjoy the fresh air and cooler temperatures. In fact, we can’t wait to relax with friends or host a cookout outside…just think, no mosquitos, hot apple cider, bon fires, cozy sweaters, football…sounds good, right?!
Extend your outdoor living well into the autumn and winter months this year with some of these ideas:
1. Repurpose old furniture instead of buying new. Spray paint can make an old table or chair look like new again. Turn old planters upside down and use them for drink holders or small tables. Check out the ‘end of summer’ clearance sales at your local home and garden stores for great deals. Also, try sprucing up an old chair, bench or outdoor couch simply by adding new cushions…this will add color, warmth and comfort!
2. Lighting is very important when entertaining outside after dark, and there are tons of options! Torches, candles, lanterns in the trees or strung above your seating area, even old Christmas lights work great in a pinch!
3. Fire is equally important while spending time outside on a chilly evening. Not only will fire add the to the ambiance with additional light, it will also keep you and your guests cozy and warm (besides, how else can you make s’mores?!). You can simply clear a small area in your yard and line with stones for your fire pit, or you can purchase one that can be found almost anywhere these days…they come in all shapes, sizes and price ranges.
4. Keep it casual and laid back…finger foods will be easier than a sit down meal, bring out blankets and pillows to keep everyone cozy and warm, bring your music to set the mood or set up the TV outside to watch a football game and cheer for your favorite team!
5. Decorate with rich fall colors like reds, browns and shades of orange…these colors can be found in your pillows and blankets or you can add pumpkins and mums (flowers that do great in the fall) for pops of color!
Fall entertaining provides a wonderful time to come together with friends and family to relax and enjoy one another’s company. Having the right space to make sure everyone is comfortable couldn’t be easier. Try one or all of these tips, and let us know which ones are your favorites!